TARGET GROUP | Officials whose main responsibility is compiling balance of payments or international investment position statistics, or both. Participants should be familiar with the methodology of the sixth edition of the Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual (BPM6). Participants should have a degree in economics or statistics or equivalent experience.
DESCRIPTION | This two-week course, presented by the IMF’s Statistics Department, provides practical advice on compiling and disseminating balance of payments and international investment position (IIP) statistics based on the 2014 BPM6 Compilation Guide (the Guide). The purpose of the course is to show how the conceptual framework described in the BPM6 may be translated into practice. The course consists of a series of discussions on methods for compiling international accounts. Lectures and class discussions focus on compilation practices, including data sources that international accounts can draw on, as well as complex methodological and compilation issues related to specific components and other issues that cut across accounts. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss compilation problems they have encountered; and gain insights into the analytical uses of the international accounts.
OBJECTIVES | Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
• Compile and disseminate balance of payments and international investment position statistics using the techniques provided in the Guide to implement the BPM6
• Identify new data sources to be used to improve the compilation of balance of payments and IIP statistics
• Discuss statistical techniques for dealing with complex methodological and compilation issues
• Extract lessons from the experiences of other compilers through peer learning opportunities
• Deepen their knowledge of the analytical use of balance of payments and IIP statistics