TARGET GROUP | Officials whose main responsibility is the compilation of balance of payments and/or international investment position (IIP) statistics. Participants should be familiar with the methodology of the sixth edition of the Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual (BPM6). Participants should have a degree in economics or statistics or equivalent experience and have minimum two years of experience in compiling balance of payments and/or IIP.
DESCRIPTION | This two-week course, presented by the IMF’s Statistics Department, provides practical advice on compiling and disseminating the international accounts (balance of payments and IIP) based on the 2014 BPM6 Compilation Guide (the Guide). The purpose of the course is to show how the conceptual framework described in the BPM6 may be translated into practice. The course consists of a series of lectures, workshops, and discussions on methods for compiling international accounts. They focus on compilation practices, including data sources that international accounts can draw on, as well as complex methodological issues related to specific balance of payments and IIP components. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss compilation difficulties they have encountered; and gain insights into the analytical uses of the international accounts.
OBJECTIVES | Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
• Compile and disseminate balance of payments and IIP statistics using the techniques provided in the Guide
• Identify new data sources to be used to improve the compilation of balance of payments and IIP statistics
• Discuss statistical techniques for dealing with complex methodological and compilation issues
• Benefit from the experiences of other compilers through peer learning opportunities
• Deepen their knowledge of the analytical use of balance of payments and IIP statistics