TARGET GROUP | Central bank, ministry of finance, bank supervisory, resolution authority, and deposit insurance agency lawyers involved in bank regulation and supervision, bank resolution, and crisis management. Because the course is for senior counsels, participants are expected to have a thorough understanding of legal issues related to the financial sector. Attendance is by invitation only. Prerequisites are specified in the nomination request letters. Participants are expected to have five years of relevant work experience, good knowledge of financial sector laws, and preferably an advanced law degree.
DESCRIPTION | This course, presented by the Legal Department, covers selected key issues related to the institutional and legal infrastructure necessary to support sound regulation and supervision of banks, bank resolution, safety nets, and crisis management, while taking into account emerging legal developments relevant to financial sector, such as fintech and climate change.
OBJECTIVES | Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
• Identify key legal issues relevant to the selected aspects of the regulation and supervision of banks: bank resolution, safety nets, and crisis management, and how international best practice addresses those issues.
• Develop an understanding of emerging legal developments in relation to the regulation and supervision of financial sector, such as climate change, fintech, e-money.
• Identify legal design approaches that have proven effective in key areas and emerging topics covered by the course, based on cross-jurisdictional experiences shared by presenters and fellow participants.
• Analyze and assess domestic financial sector legislation against international good practices on themes and emerging legal developments covered during the course.
• Develop and formulate recommendations, and engage with stakeholders on how to modify the aspects of financial sector legislation discussed in the course through law reform to align it to international good practices.
End: Apr 22
Sponsoring Organization: IMF
Application Deadline: February 27, 2022