All courses are scheduled to take place at the JVI. Courses may have to be delivered virtually in case safe travel to and in-person training in Vienna is not possible. The decision to offer virtual instead of onsite training will be made within 5 weeks of the course start date.
All participants are expected to follow our COVID-19 Guidelines.
TARGET GROUP | Mid-level to senior officials in ministries of finance and economy, treasuries and debt management offices, or other government offices involved in assessing and managing fiscal risks. Participants are expected to have relevant experience in fiscal policy, budgeting, treasury, and debt management, or fiscal risk management and have knowledge of Excel.
DESCRIPTION | This course, presented by the Fiscal Affairs Department (FAD), forms part of FAD’s Fiscal Risk Work Program, and discusses key institutions that help governments better understand, monitor, and manage risks to public finances. It provides an overview of the key sources of fiscal risks, approaches to analyzing and mitigating them, and institutional arrangements for dealing with them. It provides an overview of FAD’s Fiscal Risk Toolkit, which comprises a range of practical Excel-based tools to assist countries in analyzing and quantifying their fiscal risk exposures, as well as training on the application of some of the newest tools in the Toolkit. The course also discusses standards for reporting and disclosing fiscal risks – as prescribed in the IMF’s Fiscal Transparency Code.
OBJECTIVES | Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
• Define fiscal risks and contingent liabilities and identify their key characteristics.
• Identify the main fiscal risks a country may face and assess and prioritize these risks according to their relevance.
• Understand the main techniques and approaches used to assess macro-fiscal and risks from specific sources such as government loan guarantees, state-owned enterprises, and public-private partnerships.
• Identify institutional arrangements that support effective fiscal risk monitoring and management.
• Prepare a fiscal risk statement.
End: Mar 03
Sponsoring Organization: IMF
Application Deadline: December 04, 2022